Preventing Home Fires- Fireplaces and Woodstoves
Some Safety Tips:
- Inspect and clean your woodstove pipes and fireplace chimneys annually. Check monthly for any damage or obstructions.
- Never burn trash, paper, or green wood; these will smolder and create more smoke than dry wood.
- Use a fireplace screen that is heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Store cooled ashes in a tightly sealed metal container outside the home. After three days the ashes can be bagged and thrown away, or used in your garden
For Emergency Restoration Services, Call Us! 252-331-7889/252-480-8557