Pet Safety In An Emergency
Emergencies come in many forms: fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, and violent storms. In the event of a natural disaster or extreme weather, would you know what to do to protect your pet, to keep them safe?
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention suggests five (5) steps you can take to keep your pets safe during and after an emergency.
- Have a plan- what you would do if you aren't home or can't get to your pet when disaster strikes
- Make a kit- stock up on food and water, tap water could become contaminated
- In Case of Emergency- have information with you that will help find your pet in case they get lost or run away
- Make sure vaccinations are up to date- in case your pet needs to stay at a shelter
- Have a safe haven- Pets get nervous too, make sure you have their favorite toys, a leash, and a bed or cage
The CDCP gives some Other things to think about and other resources with information to help keep your pets safe in an emergency. Remember #SERVPROOBX we are #AlwaysHereToHelp, #NatlPrep