Before The Storm
Hurricane Prep Guide
Getting prepared for a hurricane is not only about buying lots of water or filling up the gas tank. There are steps needed to help protect you and your family if your home is threatened by a hurricane.
Stock Emergency Supplies
- Water & Food at least a 3-day supply for you and your pet
- Tools like flashlights, extra batteries, a wrench, plastic sheeting & duct tape, trash bags
- Medical Hygiene and Cleaning Supplies like a first-aid kit, necessary medications, glasses, contact lenses, moist towelettes, toothpaste, and personal hygiene products
- Personal Items, like sleeping bag for each person and change of clothing
- Activities like books, games, playing cards, paper, pencils and pens
- Radio for NOAA weather radio with tone alert and extra batteries
- Other Items like a whistle to signal for help
Prepare and Protect Your Property
- Do a Home Inventory with contents of closets, drawers and cabinets? Store your home inventory lists, photographs and video tapes in a waterproof place off the premises. Keep receipts of high valued items, which may separate insurance coverage. Always update your home inventory after making large purchases.
Review Your Insurance Policies
- Is everything up to date? If you’ve done any major renovation or made a major purchase, make sure your insurance agent is aware to help determine if your current limits are enough to cover the value.
- Coverage for additional living expenses in case you can’t live in your home until it has been restored from damages.
- What about flood damage? Do you have coverage?
- Do you have comprehensive coverage on your car insurance policy? What happens if a tree falls on it or water, wind or flying debris damages your car?
Plan Your Evacuation
- Become familiar with alternate routes in case travel becomes treacherous or traffic congested
- If you don’t have a car, plan on how you will leave if you need to evacuate; make plans with family or friends or your local government or aid agencies
- Plan what you will do with your pets, leave them with family, take them with you or to a kennel
- Keep a road map in your car in case you need another route on unfamiliar roads
- Prepare a bag or file with important papers, like your homeowner’s insurance policy, keep it with you.
If you have suffered water damage after a storm, SERVPRO of Elizabeth City/Outer Banks is prepared to assist you after the storm to clean up the mess and help restore your home to its pre-storm condition. Call us at 252-331-7889.